Monday, March 2, 2009

It was bound to happen.........


So..... everyone in the running world always has in the back of their mind, the possibility of having tummy issues while running. Atleast I have.....and because of that....I have had somewhat of a plan so I can hit the problem head on when nessesary. That is usually the reason I run 3 mile laps around my neighborhood. I also know where every porta potty is located as well. Just in case. During a run, I have occasionally had to run home when Ive felt a little rumbly in the tumbly and then continue on like no big deal. I have heard many a stories of people having to run into a ditch or behind a wall to take a dump and have often wondered when I might have a similiar issue. Dont get me wrong....I wasnt hoping for it.... but I knew it was bound to happen.

On Saturday, I made some delicious Whole Wheat Pancakes that were da bomb and served them with Log Cabin Sugar Free Syrup, which we love. I have never had a problem with that concoction before, but have also never eaten them before a 17 mile run either. (Ive been testing foods to see what gives me the best energy before my long runs) Well....Saturday, Loren and I headed out to Grantsville to do our long run with his sister Jen. I was a little nervous running with someone new, because Im a gassy person and I knew I couldnt just let them fly like usual. I knew I would have to hide the "super boost". Sometimes they are so bad.... I think they give me some momentum. Anyway..... as I started running I felt the worst cramping ever! I felt like I was just being lugged down. My belly starting bloating and with every stride I hurt worse. I could feel the bubbles growing and I knew, it wasnt good. I tried to continue on and hide my issue but wondered how long I could keep on acting as though I was fine. Low and behold, before I knew it, my husband starting groaning that his tummy hurt and that he had to take a dookie. I was suddenly relieved and quickly admitted my problem with no hesitation. We did what we could do to continue on but a few minutes later he and I could no longer handle the pain. At that moment.....I found myself running into a cow patty infested field to releive the pain. I had no choice. I HAD to do it.

Before we left the house...I asked Loren to please grab some T.P in case I needed to pee and guess what.....when I asked him for some he said he forgot. What? ....I will never rely on him again! What in the crap was I going to do? As I was pondering my options I realized that I was wearing gloves. Cute pink striped gloves. Yes.......gloves...and boy was I happy that I decided to wear them that day! It was either that or a few gum wrappers I had in my pocket. I knew those wouldnt work so well so gloves it was. Loren actually bought the gloves for me for Christmas. Oh well.....thats what he gets.....Take that Loren! Who knew one day they would end up in a field under these circumstances. I didnt! Anyways.....I only used one....I had to save the other just in case my tummy needed to explode again. And good thing because I ended up not only once but twice in the cow patty infested field of dreams. Sure glad I saved one! Poor Loren..... he had nothing...not a glove or a gum wrapper and is now paying the price. After mile 12, we ended up taking a break at his sisters to recooperate from our tummy issues and then continued on.

We just have to laugh about this experience and were glad we got to share it with his sister on our first ever run together. We bonded!

So runners.....have a plan and dont rely on anyone but yourself to bring the T.P!

P.S. I know what I WONT be eating marathon day!

Oh yeah...to make the run even better...we almost got attacked by a cow. I think he knew what I did in his field and wasnt happy about it!

4 comments:

Em said...

Awesome!!!!!!That story is a keeper!

Maxfields said...

Oh, my goodness, Maren! : ) That is hilarious! I didn't realize until the end that you were running with Jen at the time. That is embarrassing to you both, but funny for the rest of us. : ) (he, he!)

Mortons said...

Oh my gosh! That is so funny. Your poor little gloves. And almost being attacked by a cow!? What the? You are so funny.

Heather Marie said...

I am totally rollin' after reading that story. You poor thing! I don't want to think what you would've done without that blessed glove. ;-)