Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Dreaded 16.....take two!

Last week I ran the DREADED 16 miles! I don't know what it is about this particular number but most everyone that Ive talked to says that it a hard one. I remember Loren coming home after this run while training for the Saint George Marathon and he was just miserable. That is exactly the way I felt last week when I ran mine. The back of my knee hurt the whole time and I was so sluggish. It was ROUGH!

Yesterday ...I had the wonderful opportunity of running it again and on one of my favorite places...The Dreaded Treadmill! Lucky me huh? It was snowing outside, so I didn't have a choice really. I'm not one for running in the snow. I am so scared about biting it and hurting myself. (It has been known to happen) Loren and I decided to take the kids with us to the kids care at the gym. We thought that it would be nice to get both of our runs over with. Usually our Saturdays are shot because we each have to do our long runs so we have no time to play.

Much to my surprise...yesterdays run was good. I did a lot better than the week before minus the annoying interruptions from The Kids Care Lady. ( A diaper change,a fussy baby and so on) I am so glad that I was able to do it and feel good. Now that my miles are up, I occasionally get a little worried. You always fear an injury or worry that you will hit a wall and not be able to continue. I have really been blessed....so far so good.

The one thing that I have really learned through this training, is that alot of it is a mental challenge more than a physical one. I... am the one who decides if I will get out and complete my run for the day. I.... am the one who decides to push through and continue running when I think I can no longer continue. I.... am the one who decides all of these things. It is all up to me and no one else! See you at the finish line!

2 comments:

Mortons said...

Maren, I started my training for a 5K last week. I am not anywhere near 16 miles but I am feeling who is really in charge of my health. It really is my decision to run or sleep...Thanks for your great example.

Jillyan said...

I can't believe you ran 16 miles on a treadmill!!! I would have died!!! You really should have tried the oval. I am really starting to love running outside. Yesterday I ran on the treadmill for the first time in over a week. It sucked! Props to you!